Bengali Recipes

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Shorshay eelish



I am not a huge lover of fish. I know - weird since I am a Bengali ( bong). Rui maach (rahu) has been the bane of my existence. But there are certain fish that I will eat and eelish (hilsa) is definitely one of them. There are many different recipes involving eelish, but the most made in Bong houses is that of shorshay eelish (hilsa with mustard).

Yes, you guessed again. This is definitely going to be the easy version of shorshay eelish. My mom is legendary in this sense. We've cooked so much stuff in the microwave of late, its not even funny anymore. The traditional way - the only one I know involves cooking it with the rice as well, but I am not a pro in that method. I will try and become one and put it up here

Prep time : 5-7 mins (depending upon what's on TV)
Cooking time : 10 mins ( yes yes you read it right, 10 mins)

Ingredients : (Serves 2)

  1. 4 slices of eelish
  2. 2 tbsp of curd (plain yogurt)
  3. shorshay'er tel ( mustard oil)
  4. Sunrise Mustard powder ( my mom got it from Kolkata this time, makes life so much simpler. You don't have to make the mustard powder anymore ;) )
  5. 2 tsp turmeric (holudh)
  6. Salt to taste
  7. 3-4 green chillis - slit in the middle
Directions :

  1. Clean the fish and put it in a microwave safe dish. Make sure you remove any trace of blood from the fish, cause it will make the dish bitter otherwise
  2. In a separate bowl, add the other ingredients except the green chili. Mix. The reason I haven't specified the amount of oil is because its all based on your intuition. I usually add about 2-3 tsp of oil first in the mixture and then later on the fish directly.
  3. Coat the fish with this mixture. If you think it requires some more oil, drizzle a tsp of oil over it and put the green chili on the fish.
  4. Now, put the dish into the microwave and make sure you have covered it with another microwave safe plate or something of that sort. That way if the mixture splatters, you have contained the turmeric stains. Cook for 5 minutes on high.
  5. After one side is done, turn the fish on the other side and cook again for 5 minutes on high. You can add another tsp of oil if you think it needs some more of it. Before you deal with the fish, make sure the dishes are cool enough to be handled. I don't want you to blame me for burnt fingers :P
That's it you are done. Add coriander if you'd like.
Hot steaming rice and shorshay eelish, what more do you really need

Have fun
~Shreyasee

No comments:

Post a Comment