Bengali Recipes

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Begun Bhaja - Fried Brinjal/Eggplant/Aubergine/Melongene

I am feeling a bit lazy today. I want to cook something easy and fast. The other day I knocked myself out buying brinjal. Big sized brinjals are not very easily available in Hyderabad, so when I found some in Spar, I picked up as many as I could. I need to use them up now, so I decided to make the classic 'Begin Bhaja'. It's another classic Bengali dish, which is almost as famous as the Bengali fish.

Begun bhaja was always my favorite. You can have it with both rice and roti's, and if you are feeling experimental, put it between two slices of bread and make an indie sandwich. This is a very nutritious vegetable too... not that I care so much about that. :P
Ok so here's what you will need.



Stuff You Will Need

Large Brinjal - 1
Oil (Preferably Mustard)
Salt
Pepper or Chilli Powder
Turmeric Powder
Cardamom seed powder
A Little bit of Sugar

This dish is super easy to make, and is perfect for a day when you don't want to sweat it too much. Wash the brinjal ans chop off it's head and tail. Cut it into 1/2 inch thick round pieces. Rub in the Salt, Pepper, Turmeric, Cardamom powder, and the Sugar.

Heat the oil, and fry the brinjal pieces one by one, in medium to low heat. Remove the pieces when they are a dark brown. It will be a good idea to use tissues to soak out excess oil.

OK I hear my stomach growling now. Time to go fill it with warm food. Catch you later.

Bon Apetit!

1 comment: